My Stuff

https://umass-my.sharepoint.com/:f:/g/personal/rwolff_umass_edu/EkxJV79tnlBDol82i7bXs7gBAUHadkylrmLgWbXv2nYq_A?e=UcbbW0

Coming Soon:

The following books by Robert Paul Wolff are available on Amazon.com as e-books: KANT'S THEORY OF MENTAL ACTIVITY, THE AUTONOMY OF REASON, UNDERSTANDING MARX, UNDERSTANDING RAWLS, THE POVERTY OF LIBERALISM, A LIFE IN THE ACADEMY, MONEYBAGS MUST BE SO LUCKY, AN INTRODUCTION TO THE USE OF FORMAL METHODS IN POLITICAL PHILOSOPHY.
Now Available: Volumes I, II, III, and IV of the Collected Published and Unpublished Papers.

NOW AVAILABLE ON YOUTUBE: LECTURES ON KANT'S CRITIQUE OF PURE REASON. To view the lectures, go to YouTube and search for "Robert Paul Wolff Kant." There they will be.

NOW AVAILABLE ON YOUTUBE: LECTURES ON THE THOUGHT OF KARL MARX. To view the lectures, go to YouTube and search for Robert Paul Wolff Marx."





Total Pageviews

Monday, March 26, 2012

PREVIEW OF COMING ATTRACTIONS

More than forty years ago, when I was teaching at Columbia University, I was asked to address a colloquium that met from time to time.  Members of the faculty were given the opportunity to speak on any topic that interested them, and folks from the larger New York academic community formed the audience.  I chose to speak on John Stuart Mill, and spent the better part of an hour lambasting him before pausing for questions.  When it was all over, Hannah Arendt came up to say hello.  She was pretty obviously not too thrilled with the talk, but she asked politely what I was working on currently.  I replied, "Kant's ethics."  [I was beginning what would eventually become The Autonomy of Reason:  A Commentary on the Groundwork of the Metaphysics of Morals.]  Her face broke into a broad smile and she said, "Ah, it is so much more pleasant to spend time with Kant."

I recalled that remark yesterday as I was once again trying to decide what to say about the endless Republican contest for the presidential nomination.  It is depressing and, in the end, debasing to spend time in one's thoughts with the likes of Rick Santorum and Mitt Romney.  Perhaps, I reflected, it is time once again to spend some time with Kant.  Since I have already written, posted, and archived on box.net a tutorial on the Critique of Pure Reason, it seems to me that I should attempt a mini-tutorial on Kant's ethical theories.

When I was unable to find my copy of the Grundlegung on my bookshelves, I realized that I had taken it to Paris with a box of other books on Kant's philosophy.  Fortunately, Susie and I are headed for Paris on April 12th, so the tutorial will have to wait until then [I do not have Henri Pirenne's ability to write books entirely out of my memory.]  Even so, the prospect of returning for a bit to Kant has cheered me considerably.  Perhaps it will give me the heart to continue commenting on the political scene.  [I am also reminded of Aristotle's observation that mud does not have a form.  There are, as he said in another context, things that it is better that the Prime Mover not know.  Very wise.]

3 comments:

Bjorn said...

If you don't mind reading on a screen, the text of the Grundlegung is available in many different translations online.

Robert Paul Wolff said...

You young things! :) I need my old copy, with the marginal notes, and the feel of the paper, and all.

Marinus said...

I can't help but notice that your threat of fewer and less often posting hasn't come to pass. That suits me fine!