My Stuff

https://umass-my.sharepoint.com/:f:/g/personal/rwolff_umass_edu/EkxJV79tnlBDol82i7bXs7gBAUHadkylrmLgWbXv2nYq_A?e=UcbbW0

Coming Soon:

The following books by Robert Paul Wolff are available on Amazon.com as e-books: KANT'S THEORY OF MENTAL ACTIVITY, THE AUTONOMY OF REASON, UNDERSTANDING MARX, UNDERSTANDING RAWLS, THE POVERTY OF LIBERALISM, A LIFE IN THE ACADEMY, MONEYBAGS MUST BE SO LUCKY, AN INTRODUCTION TO THE USE OF FORMAL METHODS IN POLITICAL PHILOSOPHY.
Now Available: Volumes I, II, III, and IV of the Collected Published and Unpublished Papers.

NOW AVAILABLE ON YOUTUBE: LECTURES ON KANT'S CRITIQUE OF PURE REASON. To view the lectures, go to YouTube and search for "Robert Paul Wolff Kant." There they will be.

NOW AVAILABLE ON YOUTUBE: LECTURES ON THE THOUGHT OF KARL MARX. To view the lectures, go to YouTube and search for Robert Paul Wolff Marx."





Total Pageviews

Monday, March 18, 2013

REALITY CHECK

As I was checking Amazon.com for the newly available digital versions of several of my books [I was right, Chris -- you can "borrow" THE POVERTY OF LIBERALISM on Kindle, and it has the Mill essay in it], I noticed that several of my books are available used for -- wait for it -- $0.01, which is to say, for a penny.  One of the less-often mentioned virtues of a market economy is its salutary effect on swelled heads.

3 comments:

Chris said...

Well this may greatly upset you, but having been a seller on Amazon before, it turns out that selling books for $.01 actually means the seller LOSES money. Because the cost of shipping $3-4, is not completely covered by amazon. So actually sellers are losing $.25-2.00 to sell your book at a penny. Now before you get too sad, do know that the reason people engage in this behavior is to boost their amazon profile. If they sell enough books for $.01, and get them shipped in a timely fashion, amazon and buyers mark up their profile, allowing the seller to receive future benefits and discounts.

All that aside, I don't own a kindle, or any e-book, so I can't borrow the essay :(

oh well.

Robert Paul Wolff said...

Chris, it turns out that I have on my shelf a little stack of offprints of just that essay from the Marcuse/Moore/Wolff book, so if you email me an address, I will mail one to you.

David Auerbach said...

You don't need a kindle to read kindle e-books. Any computer will do; just download the free kindle app.