My Stuff

https://umass-my.sharepoint.com/:f:/g/personal/rwolff_umass_edu/EkxJV79tnlBDol82i7bXs7gBAUHadkylrmLgWbXv2nYq_A?e=UcbbW0

Coming Soon:

The following books by Robert Paul Wolff are available on Amazon.com as e-books: KANT'S THEORY OF MENTAL ACTIVITY, THE AUTONOMY OF REASON, UNDERSTANDING MARX, UNDERSTANDING RAWLS, THE POVERTY OF LIBERALISM, A LIFE IN THE ACADEMY, MONEYBAGS MUST BE SO LUCKY, AN INTRODUCTION TO THE USE OF FORMAL METHODS IN POLITICAL PHILOSOPHY.
Now Available: Volumes I, II, III, and IV of the Collected Published and Unpublished Papers.

NOW AVAILABLE ON YOUTUBE: LECTURES ON KANT'S CRITIQUE OF PURE REASON. To view the lectures, go to YouTube and search for "Robert Paul Wolff Kant." There they will be.

NOW AVAILABLE ON YOUTUBE: LECTURES ON THE THOUGHT OF KARL MARX. To view the lectures, go to YouTube and search for Robert Paul Wolff Marx."





Total Pageviews

Monday, July 8, 2013

A DELIGHTFUL WASTE OF TIME

Surfing the web aimlessly and pointlessly, I came on this list of high brow jokes.  I think some of them are hilarious.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/science/how-many-surrealists-does-it-take-to-screw-in-a-light-bulb-a-fish-the-most-highbrow-jokes-in-the-world-8691191.html

2 comments:

David Auerbach said...

They are, as you know, of variable quality and fitfully fit the label of 'highbrow'. The tachyon one is magnificent.There's nothing highbrow about the juggler one (and it isn't very good).And the Chomskey, Godel, et al. is just lowbrow. The Mandelbrot one is brilliant. The Satre one is a pisspoor version of a great Morganbesser one: Come time for dessert at the restaurant, the wait tells Morgenbesser that they have apple pie and cherry pie. Morgenbesser says he'll have the apple. The wait says, oh, I'm sorry, I should have said, we also have peach. "In that case, I'll have the cherry." Which is a very clever joke about rational choice theory. Etc. So, now I get to tell a few. But not in this post.

Robert Paul Wolff said...

I can tell Morgenbesser stories all day and all night. He is one of the great men of our age. I first met him, or at least saw him, in 1949, when I visited Swarthmore while looking for colleges. Getting to know Sidney was perhaps the best thing about teaching at Columbia.