My Stuff

https://umass-my.sharepoint.com/:f:/g/personal/rwolff_umass_edu/EkxJV79tnlBDol82i7bXs7gBAUHadkylrmLgWbXv2nYq_A?e=UcbbW0

Coming Soon:

The following books by Robert Paul Wolff are available on Amazon.com as e-books: KANT'S THEORY OF MENTAL ACTIVITY, THE AUTONOMY OF REASON, UNDERSTANDING MARX, UNDERSTANDING RAWLS, THE POVERTY OF LIBERALISM, A LIFE IN THE ACADEMY, MONEYBAGS MUST BE SO LUCKY, AN INTRODUCTION TO THE USE OF FORMAL METHODS IN POLITICAL PHILOSOPHY.
Now Available: Volumes I, II, III, and IV of the Collected Published and Unpublished Papers.

NOW AVAILABLE ON YOUTUBE: LECTURES ON KANT'S CRITIQUE OF PURE REASON. To view the lectures, go to YouTube and search for "Robert Paul Wolff Kant." There they will be.

NOW AVAILABLE ON YOUTUBE: LECTURES ON THE THOUGHT OF KARL MARX. To view the lectures, go to YouTube and search for Robert Paul Wolff Marx."





Total Pageviews

Friday, August 25, 2017

MLESTONES

Today, Susie and I celebrate our thirtieth wedding anniversary.  In November, I will take note of the anniversary of our first date in 1948, about which I wrote on this blog on August 24, 2015.  On October 6th, I shall fly up to New York to deliver a lecture at Columbia's Heyman Center, my maiden performance as a new member of Columbia's Society of Senior Scholars.  

The date with Susie was an outing to the Thalia Movie House on the Upper West Side, where we saw a revival of the pre-war Marcel Pagnol film, Cesar.  GoogleMaps tells me that the Thalia still exists, now enlarged and rechristened as SymphonySpace.  If there is time, maybe I will walk down to 95th street and take a look at the site of that fateful date sixty-nine years ago. 

Maybe there is something to the theory of Eternal Return.

11 comments:

Jerry Brown said...

Congratulations! Any updates on the sandwich situation? I've been thinking about it and maybe you should request that they don't provide any turkey sandwiches. They are always good but they make me somewhat sleepy. It could make for a too quiet audience.

Robert Paul Wolff said...

Not to worry. I have ordered two dozen escargots for you.

Jerry Brown said...

In that case I will have to sit near a window so that I can discretely feed them to the New York pigeons, which seem to eat almost anything. I wonder how they reacted to the eclipse...

s. wallerstein said...

I remember the Thalia. They used to show movies by Godard, Fellini and Bergman: I didn't understand them at all and at times I fell asleep. Many years later I saw many of those films again and I understood them. They were not movies made for 18 year olds.

Say hello to the Thalia for me. I haven't been there for almost 50 years.

Robert Paul Wolff said...

I shall indeed. it is almost sixty-nine years for me.

mesnenor said...

I rarely venture to the upper west side, but I'll be heading up there on Oct 7th to see Dr. Lonnie Smith perform at the Miller Theatre.

Tom Cathcart said...

A little bird told me about your behavior on that first date. Truly shocking.

Nick Pappas said...

NYC has only a fraction of the interesting film venues that it used to have -- but then of course we have more films than ever available on our TVs and computers. Still, it's not the same as going out to watch.

Symphony Space hosts a variety of events these days, from dramatic performance to dance, panel discussions and lectures. Meanwhile the name of the old Muse of Comedy has drifted downtown to 8th Avenue and 50th Street, where there's a restaurant and bar named Thalia.

Amarnath said...

Tom Cathcart,

I am sure our Professor did more than my wife and I, brought up in conservative South Indian Brahmin families, did fifty-two years ago - exchange furtive smiles.

Robert Paul Wolff said...

One man's furtive smile is another man's roll in the hay! Ninety percent of sex is in the head.

Business Leads World said...

Affiliates Program delivered in the social platform or outcome synthesis MCA Leads Data is effectively viewed as a neglected but worthy upward.