My Stuff

https://umass-my.sharepoint.com/:f:/g/personal/rwolff_umass_edu/EkxJV79tnlBDol82i7bXs7gBAUHadkylrmLgWbXv2nYq_A?e=UcbbW0

Coming Soon:

The following books by Robert Paul Wolff are available on Amazon.com as e-books: KANT'S THEORY OF MENTAL ACTIVITY, THE AUTONOMY OF REASON, UNDERSTANDING MARX, UNDERSTANDING RAWLS, THE POVERTY OF LIBERALISM, A LIFE IN THE ACADEMY, MONEYBAGS MUST BE SO LUCKY, AN INTRODUCTION TO THE USE OF FORMAL METHODS IN POLITICAL PHILOSOPHY.
Now Available: Volumes I, II, III, and IV of the Collected Published and Unpublished Papers.

NOW AVAILABLE ON YOUTUBE: LECTURES ON KANT'S CRITIQUE OF PURE REASON. To view the lectures, go to YouTube and search for "Robert Paul Wolff Kant." There they will be.

NOW AVAILABLE ON YOUTUBE: LECTURES ON THE THOUGHT OF KARL MARX. To view the lectures, go to YouTube and search for Robert Paul Wolff Marx."





Total Pageviews

Tuesday, December 19, 2017

THE MIRACLE OF MODERN MEDICINE

For six months or more, I have suffered a curious loss of feeling in the soles of my feet and a diminution in feeling as far up as my ankles.  After enough blood was drawn to satisfy a phlebomatist and sophisticated tests were performed on my extremities, my doctor pronounced that I was suffering from idiopathic neuropathy.  That sounded pretty serious, so I looked it up.  It means, roughly, that there is something wrong with my nerves, my body is doing it to me, and they haven't a clue what is wrong.

Meanwhile, forty-five years ago I was diagnosed with asymptomatic sarcoidosis, which cleared up after a few years [according to chest x-rays], so the day after Christmas, I will have an MRI of my spine and brain to see whether there is anything wrong that is sarcoid related.  I already know I am spineless.  Perhaps the MRI will reveal that I am also brainless.

I am so grateful to be living near a world class medicial center.

4 comments:

s. wallerstein said...

I had a MRI recently because of my sciatica. It revealed that my back is so messed up that there's not much they can do about it, short of a spine transplant, which my insurance does not cover.

I hope that your MRI reveals some easily solved medical condition.

David Palmeter said...

Welcome to the peripheral idiopathic neuropathy club. I was diagnosed with it more than 15 years ago. Given everything else that happens when we age, it isn't too bad. But as it progresses it can lead to some discomfort. The biggest concern I have is that, in eventually destroying the nerves in my feet, it also affects balance since the brain isn't getting as many messages from the feet as to where things are at any moment. It's a significant contributor to falls among the elderly. Be careful! Some people get it in their hands as well. So far--knock I wood--I've avoided that.

Robert Paul Wolff said...

David Palmeter, I have already had several falls resulting from this loss of information from my feet. I am learning to be very careful. My hands are a separate problem. I suppose when I am ninety it will be worse. Old age is not for the faint of heart, as many have observed.

s. wallerstein said...

In an interview in YouTube Eric Hobsbawm, the late British Marxist historian, describes old age as "an obstacle course". So true, I'm discovering.